Cha Cha, Say You?
At the bar of forever young cheerleaders-in-toilets and cursed reindeers, my favourite couple (who saved me from the urban sprawl to Salton Sea) asked me about the Chinese habit of repeting names when I told them to watch the film Yi Yi.
"So would you please not call me Col Col if I promise not to call you Shao Shao?"
"Worst case scenario, Ling Ling, if we get really annoying."
Meanwhile, Grateful Dead plays in the background.
---
Later, we met their friends, most of whom are in Creative Writing and Literature academia. Amongst them, I learnt that Shauna will be going to Geneva for a new Editor job in WHO - one of those rare hires of a Comparative Literature Phd candidate whose interest in human rights will take her deep to the policy-making sides. Telling me this as we were shivering and smoking outside the bar, it was perfect that one of her main tasks would be on tabaccon banning. To take the cake, her friend then told us of the "World Peace Drink" served at Geneva, perfect blue with a white chocolate dove. I think of my Paleonymy of the Human vis-a-vis Kant and Hegel, and wonder whether I'll revive my fantasies of taking my questions outside the University.
Perpetuated were tales of the city as the "unwriterly-NYC" freelance experiences, and sliced in with the history of the vibrator and one's excited idea to start up a film/cuisine venue. I told them slices of our Raffles statue(s) and our little reminiscences of Fat Frog Cafe and S-11s.
No chaw kwey teows here and late night teh-bings. However as Nicole insists on breaking up the conversations to drive me back, offering me sweaters and all that fuzzy kindness, I'm good with bloody marys for supper. On the news now, a frosty the snow man blow-up doll was being attacked as we hit a new low of 34F. Luckily for me, I am having a hot chocolate with my funky new heater Woozy-Chan at my feet. Plus a new purple military jacket and some vintage sweaters, the latest Richard Powers novel, The Echo-Maker after, I may have to eat more oats this Xmas but I sure hear the jingles.
Wouldn't you??
"So would you please not call me Col Col if I promise not to call you Shao Shao?"
"Worst case scenario, Ling Ling, if we get really annoying."
Meanwhile, Grateful Dead plays in the background.
---
Later, we met their friends, most of whom are in Creative Writing and Literature academia. Amongst them, I learnt that Shauna will be going to Geneva for a new Editor job in WHO - one of those rare hires of a Comparative Literature Phd candidate whose interest in human rights will take her deep to the policy-making sides. Telling me this as we were shivering and smoking outside the bar, it was perfect that one of her main tasks would be on tabaccon banning. To take the cake, her friend then told us of the "World Peace Drink" served at Geneva, perfect blue with a white chocolate dove. I think of my Paleonymy of the Human vis-a-vis Kant and Hegel, and wonder whether I'll revive my fantasies of taking my questions outside the University.
Perpetuated were tales of the city as the "unwriterly-NYC" freelance experiences, and sliced in with the history of the vibrator and one's excited idea to start up a film/cuisine venue. I told them slices of our Raffles statue(s) and our little reminiscences of Fat Frog Cafe and S-11s.
No chaw kwey teows here and late night teh-bings. However as Nicole insists on breaking up the conversations to drive me back, offering me sweaters and all that fuzzy kindness, I'm good with bloody marys for supper. On the news now, a frosty the snow man blow-up doll was being attacked as we hit a new low of 34F. Luckily for me, I am having a hot chocolate with my funky new heater Woozy-Chan at my feet. Plus a new purple military jacket and some vintage sweaters, the latest Richard Powers novel, The Echo-Maker after, I may have to eat more oats this Xmas but I sure hear the jingles.
Wouldn't you??


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home