Thursday, December 28, 2006

Movement

In a Chinese restaurant, London, on the last night of our conference, I told someone sitting beside me about movement -- something I was thinking of before polemics came along. Perhaps it's more apt to say instead, how they are always arriving together.

Agamben reminds me of that gathering, once again:


Do we have to keep using the concept of movement? If it signals a threshold of politicisation of the unpolitical, can there be a movement that is different from civil war? Or in what direction can we rethink the concept of movement and its relation to biopolitics? Here I won't give you any answers, it is a long term research project, but I have some indications: [...]

Movement is the indefiniteness and imperfection of every politics. It always leaves a residue. In this perspective the motto I cited as a rule for myself might be reformulated ontologically as this: the movement is that which if it is, is as if it wasn't, it lacks itself (manca a se stesso), and if it isn't, is as if it was, it exceeds itself. It is the threshold of indeterminacy between an excess and a deficiency which marks the limit of every politics in its constitutive imperfection.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home