"Who's Viewed Me"
How does one welcome a new year, already aged?
(Aged not so much with the years themselves – no, a thing does not age with what it is itself made of)
2008 started with expired impressions, like alien communists passed out in pumpkin pies.
We have come full circle, you and I:
a search a friend's birthday, a connection a Chinatown fried.
It is all in the presentations, the introductions,
The “my favorite places in town” -- "Now Online!"
Surely our renewed subscriptions did not
Prepare us for telling this lie:
“Nothing much happened the last time I met someone here.”
After that, go home and cry knowing
Just how old that "last" felt.
But a renewal does buy you a pie
To match the familiarly suited smirk.
I am not sending you a wink
But I hope you eat the whole thing this time
Before the year claims it for another dating headline.
(Aged not so much with the years themselves – no, a thing does not age with what it is itself made of)
2008 started with expired impressions, like alien communists passed out in pumpkin pies.
We have come full circle, you and I:
a search a friend's birthday, a connection a Chinatown fried.
It is all in the presentations, the introductions,
The “my favorite places in town” -- "Now Online!"
Surely our renewed subscriptions did not
Prepare us for telling this lie:
“Nothing much happened the last time I met someone here.”
After that, go home and cry knowing
Just how old that "last" felt.
But a renewal does buy you a pie
To match the familiarly suited smirk.
I am not sending you a wink
But I hope you eat the whole thing this time
Before the year claims it for another dating headline.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home