Humid Lovesicking
Monsoon showers, which make the air around our faces consistant suffocations-by-wet-towels, did not quite damp the craziness of my past week. I've just sent Eddie and his cousin, Jr. off to the airport, and it was a wonderful two days showing off my "uncle, drive faster" cab-taking skills and local ruminations. We spent a first night rather adventurously at Kerbau Hotel, a dingy place at Little India opposite Spell #7 where I used to walk past and swear living there at least once in my life. Wish accomplished, though I can't say I was complaining when we moved on to Sloane Court Hotel, whose little Tudor setting brought out the best of our island's (post)colonial confusion.
Dim Sum at Crystal Jade never let hungry foreigners down, though my mum, sis and Eddie saw proof that it does the same magic on locals returning after merely a 8-month absence too. I had my century egg porridge and lapped it up instantaneously. And for dinner at Newton Hawker Center, the same goes for my plate of cai tao kueh. Mayee and Jing surely added some feist to hosting at the table, midst some tales of Bangkok tiger shows.
More eating with Chris and Tania from the conference later tonight. I can do this, I can. But after 8 months of being spoiled by Cha Cha and two-buck-chucks, alcohol consumption is becoming a fast hesitation back home.
Addendum: Back from Holland Village where I still gave in to unreasonably priced wines. Tsk. But it was great talking with Chris , who's returning to England tm and Tania, who turned out to be one of my MA thesis marker. She's got to be one of the coolest persons I know, who combines political theory, Adorno, with a healthy addiction to American Idol. We exchanged tips on TV and she promised to start hooking on ANTM. Bertram and Matthew came by subsequently, passing me much well wishes and present from Zurich. At a place where I feel more like an Asian minority than I ever did in California, I know I'm in Singapore alright. Wearing a pink bracelet that Eddie's bought me from a Buddhist temple in Thailand, I should be as safe as risks go.


3 Comments:
eggplants? spicy tofu?
of course. they were conquered the day I touched down. Cured jetlag in one roll of the tongue.
ahhhhhhhhhh so jealous
Post a Comment
<< Home