Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Interim

Between the trip to France and the major field exam, I don't quite know what has happened, which is to say, I am here doing little justice to both. Which is to say, the only condition for their ever happened. As far as the act of blogging (re-porting, dating and writing) is concerned, the workshop at IMEC where I was reminded once again that the best thinkers are also the best teachers, would serve me many more summers to come. Even and especially those that cannot be summarized on this page.

On Bastille Day as Sam and I were along the Seine, we remarked of how lucky we were to be there. And after the intensive week of reading Derrida's La bĂȘte et le souverain, it felt right that the glowing Tour Effiel seemed merely a shadow. This is not to say that work outshone play, or that the act of reading, ever so relegated to passivity is privileged over action. But that for that one week in Normandy, Caen, we learned how it is not adequate to simply overturn these oppositions.

And I hope that some of the lessons carried themselves over to the exam. That despite all the bureaucratic and mindless protocols, I would somehow add faith to relief, pride to fortuity. Most of all, to be able to say, that despite not being able to go home this year, perhaps home has been kind to me. In the interim, there would always be good friends, good whiskey, and brown summer glory.


1 Comments:

Blogger Sammy Solomon said...

and how lucky to be here together, even now, across the impossibility of being here together.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home